The error err_connection_timed_out is pretty common while browsing the websites in Google chrome. This can be annoying and stops you from entering any website.
In this article, we will discuss what is err_connection_timed_out, reasons behind err_connection_timed_out, and how to fix err_connection_timed_out chrome error. I am going to talk about the top 4 ways to fix the err_connection_timed_out chrome error.
Root cause of err_connection_timed_out Chrome Error
In one line if I say, the major reason behind getting this error is your LAN setting. I am not going to talk about what is LAN here. You can check this article to understand about LAN.
Your LAN (local area network) has a lot of settings that trigger err_connection_timed_out in Google Chrome.
When these important settings are turned on, it causes slow down in the server response time and further causes the err_connection_timed_out error.
How to fix err_connection_timed_out chrome error?
Now as you know the err_connection_timed_out reason, let’s talk about some ways to fix err_connection_timed_out chrome error.
#1 Change LAN Setting
This is the easiest way to fix the err_connection_timed_out error where we’ll change the LAN settings on your PC. To do that, please follow the below steps-
- Open control panel- simply press windows button and search for control panel
- Once the window is open, select “view by large icons” option
- The next step is to select the “Internet Options”
- This will open a new pop up there select “Connections” tab and then click on “LAN Setting”
- Again a new pop up will be there. In that window, uncheck all the options and then click on ok.
Once done, go back to your web browser and refresh it. That err_connection_timed_out should be gone. If this method has not worked for you, look for the next in the list.
#2 Reconnect Internet
Sometimes, err_connection_timed_out can also be caused because of a slow internet connection. And so, just by reconnecting the internet can solve your problem. Follow the below steps to reconnect to your internet-
- Open WiFi tray of your system
- Click on the WiFi you’re connected to and disconnect it
- Now again connect to the same WiFi network.
Again, move back to the web page and refresh it. This should resolve err_connection_timed_out chrome error.
#3 Flush DNS
This is the 3rd step to fix err_connection_timed_out chrome error. Basically, it’s DNS which is responsible for returning the IP address of the server that hosts the domain when you’re trying to access the webpage.
So, when the DNS takes too long to return the IP address then this err_connection_timed_out can occur. And this is the reason, flushing the DNS can fix err_connection_timed_out problem. You can follow steps to flush the DNS in your system-
- Press Windows + R key to open Run and search for cmd and click ok
- You will get the command prompt open. There type the below one by one by pressing enter. Basically, we need to run the below commands on the terminal
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh winsock reset
- Once done, restart your system for the effect to take place
Now go back to your webpage again and try accessing it. You should be able to access that webpage now. If this method has also not worked for you, please look for the next in the list.
#4 Clear Browser Data
This is the last method to fix err_connection_timed_out. Here we just need to clear the browser data to ensure that no cache related issue is causing this problem.
Usually, the browser saves a lot of data which causes it to show timeout error. You can follow the below steps to clear browser data in the Chrome browser-
- Open Chrome browser and click on the three dots on the top right corner
- There select the “Settings” option
- Just scroll down to the opened window and click on “Show advanced settings”
- Now under Privacy, click on clear browsing data
- Select beginning of time from the dropdown and tick all the checkbox and then click on “Clear browsing data”
This may take a while to clear all the browsing data depending on how much data it has stored. Once done, again try opening the webpage and you should be able to do it.
These were the top 4 ways to fix err_connection_timed_out chrome error. The easiest and mostly worked method is to clear LAN settings which we have talked in the #1 method.
If that has not worked for you, simply scroll to next and you’ll be able to fix err_connection_timed_out error for sure. Please comment if you’re facing any further issues.