If you are a windows 10 user then you might have come across the error- the active directory domain services is currently unavailable. This is quite a common error with the windows 10 users.
We found this error being asked in many forums and a long trail of discussion for a solution. And so we thought of writing a detailed post on this which can fix the active directory domain services is currently unavailable.
This error majorly occurs when you connect a new printer to your windows 10 system. You will find the printer companies like HP, Canon, Lexmark, etc. forum full with such questions. And then a long list of comments where some suggest this and that method. This is the reason we curated this post to fix the active directory domain services is currently unavailable printer error.
Here is the easiest guide to fix the active directory domain services is currently unavailable printer error with windows 10. Here is the list of solutions for how do I fix active directory domain services is currently unavailable. Start with the first solution and if that doesn’t work for you then simply switch to next in the list.
Solution-1: Troubleshoot the issue
If you know windows have an amazing troubleshooting tool which can help you triage any system related issue. And this error how do I fix active directory domain services is currently unavailable can also be troubleshoot using this. Please follow the below steps to troubleshoot it-
- Press Windows key and type troubleshooting/troubleshoot and open the app as shown below-
2. Here select troubleshoot from the left menu and then select printer option from the pain as shown below-
3. Upon clicking on the printer it will be shown an option to run the troubleshooter. Click on it to triage the issue.
4. This will open a troubleshooter window which will take some time to detect and fix the issue for you. You might get a window like the below also to select which printer you would like to troubleshoot and fix. Simply select the printer which you’re trying to add.
This was the easiest method to fix the active directory domain services is currently unavailable. If this method is not working for you then just move to the next solution suggested below.
Solution-2: Check Network Installation
If the first solution has not fixed the active directory domain services is currently unavailable then check network installation. Follow the below steps to fix the active directory domain services is currently unavailable-
Open control panel in your system(press window and search for control panel)
Then select Add a device from the Hardware and Sound category
Here it will open a dialog box which will show the available printers available around you. Select that printer and add it. This should solve the active directory domain services is currently unavailable windows 10 problem. If this is still not working, please look for the next solution below.
Solution-3: Restart Printer Spooler
Many users have solved how do I fix active directory domain services is currently unavailable printer error by restarting printer spooler. This is how you can do so-
Press Windows + R and type services.msc in the popup box and press enter
The services list will be opened in a new window. From this list select printer spooler. Right-click on it and select restart.
This will take some time to first stop this service and again start it. Once done, your issue should be resolved.
Solution-4: Restart Router and Add Printer Again
If the above 3 solutions have not worked for you then try this to fix the active directory domain services is currently unavailable. Follow the following steps for how do I fix active directory domain services is currently unavailable windows 10.
- Restart your router and turn off your firewall for a while
- Now restart your computer
- Once your system is restarted, open control panel and select add a device to add the new printer
Solution-5: Fix using Registery Editor
If still your issue has not been resolved then this method is for you. Follow the below steps to solve the active directory domain services is currently unavailable.
- Press Windows + R and type regedit and press enter
- If you are prompt for permission, simply allow it. Here follow the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion
- Here look for a folder with the named printer device
- Right click on the device and select Permissions from the list
- A new popup will come where select your account name and then check the box next to allow full control. This is required for making any change to file registry
- Here click on apply and then ok
- Again move to CurrentVersion folder as shown above and find PrinterPorts, right-click on it and select permission.
- Again select your account and allow full control
- Now again look for the windows folder and allow the full control
Once all these are done close your registry window and restart your computer.
These were top 5 ways to fix the active directory domain services is currently unavailable windows 10. These methods will help you with the printer issue with windows 10.
If you’re still unable to resolve your issue, feel free to comment and we will try to solve the issue for you.